Monday, July 14, 2008

Wonderful Waterhouse

A few savvy art connoisseurs have noticed that my FaceBook and Black Mermaid website photo has me posing in front of a print of John William Waterhouse's painting The Mermaid. Well, I adore Waterhouse's work and many other artists in the Pre-Raphaelite period such as Dante Gabriel Rossetti. I was particularly delighted to actually come across an original Waterhouse in Melbourne earlier in the year – Ulysses and the Sirens – which is housed at the National Gallery of Victoria. It wasn't as large as I had imagined (I had a similar experience seeing Da Vinci's Mona Lisa in the Louvre for the first time which really is really quite small) but it was sumptuous in colour and in the imagery. Thought you might want to take a look for yourselves and put it on your itinerary if you ever make it to Melbourne. 

No comments: