Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Donald Duck Beloved in Germany


When I was a kid I loved nothing more than going with my father to the local petrol station to fill up on a Saturday morning. He'd always buy me a Disney comic or two and I'd rush home to read them over and over and over. I still have them in an archive box – Mickey Mouse; Pluto; Goofy; Donald Duck, Daisy Duck, and Huey, Dewey and Louie; Uncle Scrooge; the Beagle Brothers – wonderful stuff. I know Mickey Mouse is the quintessential Disney cartoon character but I always preferred Donald – he was temperamental and volatile, prone to temper tantrums and was hilarious. Mickey was thoughtful and always on his best behaviour, whereas Donald lived pretty much completely in the moment. 

Came across this online article the other day Why Donald Duck is the Jerry Lewis of Germany and was quite intrigued that after all this time Disney comics sell 250,000 copies a week in Germany alone. What's more –
A lavish 8,000-page German Donald Duck collector’s edition has just come out, and despite the nearly $1,900 price tag, the publisher, Egmont Horizont, says the edition of 3,333 copies is almost completely sold out. 
The German publishers have given Donald a cultured sensibility which is not the Donald I remember and love, but hey, if it works it works and if Disney doesn't have a problem with it then neither do I. 

No comments: