Monday, June 23, 2008

Wicked Ways

Was lucky to catch Wicked at the George Gershwin Theatre on Broadway last year with Colleen Doran as my theatre partner. Great production – would have loved to have seen Kristin Chenoweth – whom I'd last seen scene-stealing on West Wing – in the role of Glinda. Lovely energy about her. I'd also liked to have seen Idina Menzel playing and singing Elphaba. Glad to know she's transitioning to screen – I spotted her in Enchanted, playing Patrick Dempsey's character's fiancée. I loved how the Wicked story was reframed from the Wicked Witch of the West's perspective. Going out on a limb and declaring myself to be a philistine here but I much preferred the musical to the original source material which was just too dark and depressing for me (although I do acknowledge the book to be a literary achievement). Anyway, the Aussie production is getting its first outing in Melbourne at the Regent Theatre from 6 July 2008. To read more about the gorgeousness of the costumes go to this Melbourne Age article. Thanks to Sonja for the tip. And by the way, which witch do you see first in the theatrical poster – the black one or the white one? For me it's the former.

No comments: