Thursday, July 31, 2008

The Seventh Commandment Exposed

Carl Jung said (and this is one of my favourite quotes), "I'd rather be whole than good". Well, knowing what you know about my past as a hypnotherapist and about the exploration of the human spirit through my fantasy comics and visionary fiction writing, I thought you might be interested in this article I stumbled upon "What Kind of an Adulter are You?" which is a summation of a new book by Mira Kirshenbaum When Good People Have Affairs: Inside the Hearts & Minds of People in Two Relationships. Here are the 17 categories she mentions:
1. Break out into self-hood
2. Accidental
3. Sexual panic
4. Let's kill this relationship (and see if it comes back to life)
5. Mid-life crisis
6. Trading up
7. Healing up your marriage
8. I just needed to indulge myself
9. Ejector seat
10. See if
11. Distraction
12. Surrogate therapy
13. Do I still have it?
14. Having experiences I missed out on
15. Revenge
16. Mid-life crisis
17. Unmet needs
The article and the book provide examples of each, but I think the titles are self-explanatory. One of the things I'm learning and appreciating the older I get is that life is not as black and white as we think and it is easy being judgemental when we are not faced with all the facts and the points of view of the various parties involved. This book promises to be a fascinating read, and it may also be an interesting exercise for Jozef and myself to run some of the Elf~Fin storylines through filters such as these just to see where characters are placed. 

No comments: